- Cooking Time: 40
- Preparation Time:
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 quart water
- 1 store-bought deli-roasted chicken
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, cut into medium dice
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into rounds or half rounds, depending on size
- 2 large stalks celery, slice ¼ inch thick
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- seasonings of your choice such as garlic powder, pepper, etc...
- 2 c flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 eggs
- ¾ c milk
- Bring broth and water to a simmer over medium-high heat in a large soup kettle. Meanwhile, separate chicken meat from skin and bones; reserve meat. Add skin and bones to the simmering broth. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer until bones release flavor, 20 to 30 minutes. Strain broth through a colander into a large container; reserve broth and discard skin and bones. Return kettle to burner set on medium-high. Add oil, then onions, carrots and celery. Saute until soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add chicken, broth and thyme. Bring to a simmer. Add the rivels mixture to the broth. (Can be refrigerated up to 3 days in advance. Bring back to a simmer prior to adding the rivels.)
- While the chicken soup is cooking, stir flour, seasonings, eggs and milk together in a large bowl until it forms a thick batter; add more milk if necessary. Drop by teaspoonfuls into the boiling soup, using a spoon (I use my hands and let it pull down as it is dropping into the soup). Boil gently, stirring once or twice until rivels rise to the surface and are tender, about 5 minutes.
NotesThis is a combination of a couple of recipes. My grandma used to make rivels but I couldn't find a recipe-I'm sure it's just something that she could make from memory. I started searching and this is what I found and adjusted to my family's taste. The rivels are basically thick, odd-shaped noodles. My daughter loves them and loves this soup also.
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and CakesSee More
Mom's Spanish Rice
Simply Delicious Mac-n-Cheese Casserole
Holiday BellsSee More