- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 10 cups water
- 6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (2 1/2 lb)
- 4 large yellow bell peppers
- 2/3 cup blanched slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh jalapeno including seeds
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 slices good-quality whole-wheat sandwich bread
- Poach chicken - Bring water to a simmer in a 4- to 5-quart pot, then add chicken and simmer, uncovered, 6 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let stand, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and cool completely, then cut diagonally into thin slices.
- Roast bell peppers - Roast bell peppers on racks of gas burners over high heat, turning with tongs, until skins are blackened, 10 to 12 minutes. (Or broil peppers on rack of a broiler pan about 5 inches from heat, turning occasionally, about 15 minutes.) Transfer to a large bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap, then let stand 20 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, peel peppers, discarding stems and seeds, and cut lengthwise into 1 1/2-inch-wide strips.
- While peppers are standing, pulse almonds, garlic, and jalapeÃƒÂ±o in a food processor until finely chopped. Add cilantro, mayonnaise, lime juice, sour cream, and salt and blend to a paste.
- Spread cilantro relish on each slice of bread, then make sandwiches with chicken and roasted peppers, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Notes: Chicken can be poached (but not sliced) 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- Note - Bell peppers can be roasted, peeled, and sliced 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. You can also substitute with roasted red peppers in a jar to save time.
- Note - Relish can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, its surface covered with plastic wrap.
NotesThis is a recipe for one of my favorite sandwiches, courtesy of Gourmet Magazine, August, 2002.