- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 2 cups minced celery
- 2 cups minced onion
- 1 cup minced green bell pepper
- 1 cup minced red pepper
- 1 cup minced green onion
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 4-5 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 2-3 lbs smoked sausage or andouille if you prefer
- 3 lbs chicken
- In a large stock pot (preferably at least 8 quarts) add your chicken and add just enough water to cover the chicken. Add some salt, pepper, garlic powder to give chicken little extra flavor.
- Cook until chicken falls from bone, remove from pot and cut into uniform pieces, add back to pot.
- In large heavy skillet (I use cast iron chicken fryer), heat oil and flour over medium high heat, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Cook approximately 10 min until it has turned a caramel color. (Some people prefer a darker roux, if so just continue cooking until desired color is achieved.)
- To the roux, add all the vegetables and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add by large spoonfuls to the stockpot, stirring after each addition.
- Once the roux has been added, then add your tomates, if using frozen just put them in frozen - they'll cook down. If you use diced tomates, crush them as you add them. Slice smoked sausage into 1/4 rounds and add to pot.
- Allow this mixture to simmer for about an hour, and you'll have a hearty meal. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes it makes a terrific meal
- This is one of those soups that only gets better as it is reheated, so you can eat on it for a couple days if you like, and my family sure does.
- Instead of 4-5 cans diced tomatoes (or you can use frozen tomatoes also, as I do. I use about 2 quarts of frozen.
- For the chicken, I use half breasts and half thighs to make my stock have more flavor. Be sure to leave the skin on the thighs while boiling, you can skim excess fat off when they are done, or leave it in.
- Prep time: 1 to 1-1/2 hours
NotesThis is a very flavorful dish that is meant to be shared with friends and loved ones.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Halloween Easy Eerie Edibles
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and CakesSee More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More