- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 pound andouille or hot link sausages
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 3 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the sausages and cook, turning, until browned, 5 to 10 minutes in all.
- Remove. When the sausages are cool enough to handle, cut them into 1/4-inch slices.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from the pan.
- Add the onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic to the pan and cook, covered, over moderately low heat until the vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, broth, sausage, cayenne, bay leaves, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and simmer, covered, until the chicken is just done and the rice and the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for about 2 minutes
- Serves 4
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
The Naked Macaron
Get Cookin'See More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More