- Cooking Time: 75-90
- Preparation Time: 5
BackstoryMy girlfriend kept buying kielbasa and I needed more recipes for it. I came across a couple different jambalaya ones and adapted them for our tastes. Meaning: no shrimp. Heh.
- 1/2 pound of boneless, skinless chicken
- 1/2 pound of kielbasa or other sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth (or however much your rice calls for)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (more or less, to taste)
- 1 small bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop up the chicken and kielbasa into large bite-sized pieces.
- Brown the sausage in a large pot, remove it to a paper towel lined plate.
- Brown the chicken in the sausage fat, remove it to a plate (not lined).
- Add the onions to the pot, brown them for a bit then add the pepper and garlic. Saute for a minute or less then remove to the same plate as the chicken (you want to save all the juices).
- Add the rice and saute till slightly clear, if you have run out of sausage fat add a little olive oil.
- Pour in the chicken broth and scrape up all the fond you can.
- Add the sausage, chicken and vegetables back into the pot.
- Add the spices.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer till the rice is cooked, an hour to an hour and a half.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve.