- Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 ripe plantain, halved and sliced lengthwise
- 1 14 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and sliced lengthwise
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cubed avocado, tossed in lime juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 lime sliced
- Derived from Sancocho
- 1. Prick sweet potato a few times. Cook in a microwave on high 3 minutes, until partially cooked. Set aside to cool; peel and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 2. Meanwhile, bring broth to a boil in a large stockpot; add chicken and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until just cooked through. Remove chicken to a cutting board. Let cool, dice, then set aside. Discard bones.
- 3. In a small saucepan, heat oil and saute shallots and chile until soft, 3 minutes. Transfer to broth along with sweet potato, corn, and plantain; cook 10 minutes, until plantain is soft. Stir in coconut milk, tomatoes, and chicken. Season to taste. Simmer 5 minutes. Ladle into bowls and top with avocado, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.