CHICKEN AND VEGIE POT PIE
- Cooking Time: 20-25
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 skinless single chicken breast fillets (125g each), cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup button mushrooms, trimmed
- 1 cup spring 'bulb' onions
- 1 1/2 cups salt reduced chicken stock
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 3 teaspoons plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 6 sheets filo pastry, thawed if frozen, and cut in half
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a large non stick frying pan, heat oil over a medium heat.
- Add the chicken; cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to plate with slotted spoon.
- Add onion to pan; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add carrot, celery, mushrooms and onions; cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add stock; bring to boil.
- Cover; simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Return chicken to pan.
- In a saucepan, melt margarine over a medium heat.
- Add flour; stir for 1 minute.
- Add milk, bring to the boil, stirring continuously, until mixture thickens.
- Stir in peas.
- Add to chicken mixture and spoon into a medium baking dish or casserole.
- Spray each piece of filo with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Crumble filo gently over top of chicken mixture.
- Bake until golden about 20 to 25 minutes.
Chop vegetables before you place raw chicken on the board to prevent the chicken's potentially harmful bacteria from contaminating the vegetables.
Filo pastry dough should be kept covered with a cold damp cloth. This will ensure that it does not dry out and become brittle and too hard to use.
Recipe from Quick, Light & Delicious