- Cooking Time: 20-25
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
Chop vegetables before you place raw chicken on the board to prevent the chicken's potentially harmful bacteria from contaminating the vegetables.
Filo pastry dough should be kept covered with a cold damp cloth. This will ensure that it does not dry out and become brittle and too hard to use.
Recipe from Quick, Light & Delicious
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 skinless single chicken breast fillets (125g each), cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup button mushrooms, trimmed
- 1 cup spring 'bulb' onions
- 1 1/2 cups salt reduced chicken stock
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 3 teaspoons plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 6 sheets filo pastry, thawed if frozen, and cut in half
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a large non stick frying pan, heat oil over a medium heat.
- Add the chicken; cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to plate with slotted spoon.
- Add onion to pan; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add carrot, celery, mushrooms and onions; cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add stock; bring to boil.
- Cover; simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Return chicken to pan.
- In a saucepan, melt margarine over a medium heat.
- Add flour; stir for 1 minute.
- Add milk, bring to the boil, stirring continuously, until mixture thickens.
- Stir in peas.
- Add to chicken mixture and spoon into a medium baking dish or casserole.
- Spray each piece of filo with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Crumble filo gently over top of chicken mixture.
- Bake until golden about 20 to 25 minutes.