Chicken and Yellow Rice
1 cut-up fryer, skinned
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup flour
2 large onions, chopped
2 large stalks celery, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 large package of yellow rice (spiced)
Salt and pepper
1½ to 2 cans chicken stock (start with 1½)
1 to 2 cans water (start with 1)
1. Heat oil in a heavy-duty skillet. Dust chicken lightly with some flour; lightly brown chicken but not thoroughly done. Remove and set aside (drain on paper towels).
2. Discard half of oil then add about three-fourths of remaining flour and whisk into oil over medium-low heat (watch so it won‟t scorch). Add half each of chopped onions, celery, and green bell pepper to skillet; whisk and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside for 30 minutes for flavors to blend.
3. Add remaining onions, celery, and green bell pepper to skillet; stir in salt, pepper, 1½ cans broth, and 1 can water. Cook on medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes to reduce slightly. Reduce heat to low and add chicken pieces; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes (adjust sauce if necessary using extra stock and or water).
4. While chicken is cooking, prepare yellow rice per package instructions.
5. Serve chicken with cooked yellow rice.