- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Broiler-fryer chicken (3 1/2 pounds) quartered
- 4 Cups each chicken broth and water
- 2 Carrots,cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 Cups sliced celery
- 1 Cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 Package(8 ounces) broad egg noodles
- 1/4 Cup chopped parsley
- Bring chicken, broth and water to a broil in a 4-to 5 quart pot. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add carrots,celery and onion. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes longer,until chicken is no longer pink near the bone. Remove chicken. Skim off the fat.
- Stir in the noodles,increase heat to medium and cook 8 to 10 minutes,stirring occasionally, until noodles are tender.
- Remove skin from chicken. Tear meat into bite-size pieces. Stir meat and parsley into soup.
- NOTE:(I used several split chicken breasts instead of a broiler-fryer, because i prefer breast meat.)
NotesThis is comfort food.
This hearty, main dish soup from a 1992 issue has a homey, cooked-for hours flavor, but takes just 60 minutes. If you like, remove the chicken skin before cooking.(thats what i did)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Koken met Oma
Breads and Pastry 101See More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More