- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 chicken (2 1/4 pounds), well rinsed, patted dry and cut into pieces (or your choice of any combination of 2 pounds of chicken pieces)
- 7 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup pitted prunes, halved
- 10 cloves garlic, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 large Granny Smith (or other tart variety) apples, cored, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole or dutch oven, and brown sausage in small batches over medium heat. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage and set aside.
- Brown the chicken pieces in the casserole until golden, and set them aside with the sausage. Pour off most of the fat. Add 4 1/2 tablespoons of the vinegar to the casserole, and bring to a boil over medium heat, scraping up any brown bits. Then add the stock, wine, bay leaf, thyme and salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute.
- Add the prunes and garlic to the casserole, and cook 1 minute. Then return the sausage and chicken, mix them gently with the sauce, and cover the casserole. Transfer it to the oven, and bake for 40 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken, sausage and prunes to a heated serving platter and keep warm. Add the mustard and the remaining 3 tablespoons vinegar to the casserole and whisk well. Add the apples and cook over medium-low heat until the apples and garlic are just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and sausage, sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
NotesAn easy, savory dish for fall from Rosso & Lukins’ “The New Basics Cookbook.”
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy BlogSee More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More