- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 chicken (2 1/4 pounds), well rinsed, patted dry and cut into pieces (or your choice of any combination of 2 pounds of chicken pieces)
- 7 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup pitted prunes, halved
- 10 cloves garlic, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 large Granny Smith (or other tart variety) apples, cored, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole or dutch oven, and brown sausage in small batches over medium heat. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage and set aside.
- Brown the chicken pieces in the casserole until golden, and set them aside with the sausage. Pour off most of the fat. Add 4 1/2 tablespoons of the vinegar to the casserole, and bring to a boil over medium heat, scraping up any brown bits. Then add the stock, wine, bay leaf, thyme and salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute.
- Add the prunes and garlic to the casserole, and cook 1 minute. Then return the sausage and chicken, mix them gently with the sauce, and cover the casserole. Transfer it to the oven, and bake for 40 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken, sausage and prunes to a heated serving platter and keep warm. Add the mustard and the remaining 3 tablespoons vinegar to the casserole and whisk well. Add the apples and cook over medium-low heat until the apples and garlic are just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and sausage, sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
NotesAn easy, savory dish for fall from Rosso & Lukins’ “The New Basics Cookbook.”
Sauce du Jour Culinary Institution: where every crazy chef gets a sharp knife
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
DIY Tasty Gift IdeasSee More
Skinny Mojito for Cinco de Mayo
Spicy New England Style Lobster Roll
Avocado & Swiss Sprouted Wheat PizzaSee More