Chicken with White Beans and Escarole
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves (crushed or minced)
1 head escarole, washed and chopped
1 (14 ounce) can white beans, washed and drained
1 1/2 cups dry vermouth or dry white wine
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 dash red chili pepper flakes
fresh ground pepper
1 (16 ounce) package bow tie pasta, plus
water, to boil it in
- boil water and cook pasta noodles. after you drain them add a little butter to the noodles to keep them from getting sticky.
- wash chicken and pat dry. salt and pepper chicken on both sides.
- heat olive oil in large saute pan until shimmering.
- add chicken and brown for five minutes on each side. remove chicken to plate and let rest.
- drain pan of most of the chicken fat and return to med-low heat. add diced onion. after onions turns opaque, add garlic. cook until fragrant, about one minute.
- add chopped escarole to onion mixture and saute until wilted, about three minutes.
- add white beans, wine and chicken stock. also add sage and red pepper flakes. up heat and simmer five minutes until slightly reduced.
- return chicken thighs to pan. put lid on pan and turn heat to med-low. if you need to you may add more broth or wine. you want there to be a sauce for the noodles.
- after about ten minutes flip chiken thighs and put lid back on. simmer ten more minutes.
- remove lid and add sherry. simmer on low five more minutes and check thighs for doneness. may take a few minutes more depending on their size. serve over buttered bow-tie pasta with grated parmesan to garnish.