Chickpea, Almond & Kale Soup
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 cup almond milk
1/2 cup almond butter
1 14.5 oz can of chickpeas, drained (1/2 can smashed, 1/2 can whole)
2 cups kale, chopped
Pantry Ingredients & Extras:
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Black pepper, to taste
Large dash cayenne pepper (or more if you like it spicy!)
1. Rinse kale, remove stems, roughly chop. Set aside.
2. Drain can of chickpeas and divide into 2 small bowls.
3. Smash the chickpeas with a fork in one of the bowls and leave the others whole.
4. Combine vegetable broth, almond milk, smashed AND whole chickpeas, bay leaf and all spices.
5. Bring to a boil.
6. Reduce and simmer for 30 minutes.
7. Add Kale to the simmer soup for 2 minutes, then serve.
*Tasting Tip: Feel free to add more seasoning or adjust the almond butter ratio for a creamier soup. Get creative and even switch out the greens if kale isn't your thing.
Pairs Well With
This was the "5 Ingredient Challenge" recipe for Episode 4 of The Vegan Roadie in St. Louis, MO.
It was a cold and rainy day filming at the famous St. Louis Arch, so a soup seemed like the perfect 5IC recipe for this episode. I love the almond butter in this (but you could use cashew or even peanut butter). It adds a creamy texture to the soup giving it a nice rich flavor and makes this a true comfort food. You could also add more cayenne pepper for some more heat, if you like that sorta thing (which I do!). The possibilities are endless...AND delicious!
Show me YOUR creation @theveganroadie on Instagram, Facebook, & Twitter. #5IC #kaledit