- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 5
- 1 pound cornbread, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole hominy (posole), thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) corn kernels, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mild, diced green chiles, drained
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, preferably corn oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, preferably Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted, drained
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss cornbread, hominy, corn kernels and chiles on a large, rimmed sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes, until the cornbread is toasted on its edges. Toss and bake for five more minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add poultry seasoning, oregano and chili powder and sauté 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes and chicken broth and heat to boiling. Pour over toasted ingredients and toss to moisten. Cool before stuffing into the cavity of a 12- to 15-pound turkey. The stuffing can also be prepared in the oven; mound in a casserole dish and cook in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 175; Total fat 5g; Saturated fat 1g; Cholesterol 17mg; Sodium 433mg; Carbohydrate 30g; Fiber 2g; Protein 4g; Vitamin A 2%DV*; Vitamin C 12%DV; Folate 2%DV; Calcium 5%DV; Iron 9%DV; Potassium 4%DV
- *Daily Value
NotesThis cornbread stuffing is loaded with vegetables and Mexican flare that make this stuffing taste like it took hours to prepare. The truth is something far simpler. Toasting the hominy, corn and chiles before mixing the stuffing gives them a meaty, robust texture and a concentrated flavor that transforms plain stuffing into a nutritious and delicious whole-grain side dish.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Watt's Cooking in PA?
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More