Chile Verde Con Cerdo (Green Chili With Pork)
Why I Love This Recipe
This recipe is constantly a work in progress. I have been working on perfecting it for years now. Ladle it over bean and beef or breakfast burritos, chimichangas, scrambled eggs, or just eat it as a stew with warm tortillas. Can be transfered to the crock pot for all day simmering on low. It also freezes beautifully so make a big pot for future meals. Adjust chilies, jalapenos and spices, tasting as you cook. Take liberties with this recipe to suit your own tastes. I won't mind in the least. It is what I would do if this recipe was posted by you. Pork can be left out for our vegetarian friends.
Ingredients You'll Need
2-3 lbs diced pork
2 tablespoons cooking oil, lard or bacon grease
1 large chopped onion (not traditional) (optional)
1 head minced garlic (taste great, but also helps prevent heart burn)
6 tablespoons flour
1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, drained
2 cups diced green chilies
3 large tomatillos, husks removed and coarsely chopped (optional)
2-4 teaspoons jalapenos (optional)
5 cups water or chicken broth (broth is not traditional, but I like the flavor better)
2 tablespoons ground cumin (or to taste)
2 tablespoons ground chili powder (or to taste) (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1. Brown pork in the oil, lard bacon grease in a large pot or dutch oven with the onions.
2. Process 1/2 of the green chilies until smooth.
3. Stir flour into the meat, onion and fat until flour absorbs the oil or fat.
4. Add broth or water.
5. Cook and stir until mixture comes to boil and is slightly thickened.
6. Add garlic, drained tomatoes, chopped tomatillos, all of the green chilies and jalapenos if desired (taste first).
7. Add the spices a little at a time until you get the taste you like, bringing to a simmer before each addition.
8. Simmer for at least 1 hour (longer if you can afford the time), stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
9. If you want more of a stew type chili, add cubed potatoes 20 minutes before serving; serve with warm tortillas.
10. Serve over burritos and garnish with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream.
11. Leave pork out for a vegetarian green chili sauce.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Mexican