- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Chiles Rellenos Casserole
- 1 package (10-12) flour tortillas, cut or torn into fourths
- 1 jar hot banana pepper rings, rinsed & drained
- 1 pound sausage, browned, rinsed and drained (hamburger can be substituted)
- 1 (12 ounce) package shredded cheese (divided)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk (not condensed milk)
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 7-8 eggs
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. hot pepper flakes (opt.)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp. seasoned salt
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- ½ soup can of milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9x13 pan or spray with nonstick spray.
- Cover the bottom of the baking dish with tortilla pieces . Spread pepper rings and sausage evenly over tortillas and top with half of the shredded cheese.
- In mixing bowl, beat the evaporated milk with the flour til smooth. Beat in eggs and spices. Pour egg mixture over the meat, peppers, and cheese.
- Place another layer of tortillas over the egg mixture.
- Make topping: In a small bowl, beat the soup with the milk. Pour over the top layer of tortillas.
- Bake 40-50 minutes. When topping looks set (not runny), sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and bake another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa, chopped green onions, or whatever you like.
- A great way to cook sausage (or hamburger) is to “boil” it. Cook over medium-high heat with about 1 cup of water, stirring often. Drain off liquid. It will fall apart!
- You might try substituting a package of taco seasoning for the spices. I have not tried this yet, but it would be much easier and probably pretty tasty!
- It’s ok to use regular milk if you don’t have evaporated milk. You may need to adjust (lessen) the baking time a bit.
- I use a stoneware pan. You may need to adjust baking time if you use a metal pan.
Notes(Mexican Dish With Eggs, Tortillas, Hot Peppers & Sausage)
Simple Homemade Favorites
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory LifeSee More
Black Raspberry Chip Ice Cream
Chicken with Asparagus and Pine Nuts
Bacon And Cabbage SoupSee More