- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 Ancho, Pasilla or Anaheim Chiles - or - 27 oz. can Mild Whole Green Chiles
- 1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 6 Raw eggs (separated)
- 1/2 cup Flour
- Oil. You will need enough to cover at least half of the chili then turn to brown the other side.
- Rinse the chiles.
- Preheat your oven to broil.
- Place the chiles in a 9 x 14 baking dish and place on the top shelf of your oven.
- Watch and listen closely. When the skins start to make popping sounds and to char and turn black in places, take the chiles out and flip them over. Be sure and use a potholder so you don't burn your hands!
- When both sides are fairly evenly charred, remove them from the oven.
- Wrap each chile in a moist paper towel or place in a sealed plastic bag to steam.
- After a few minutes, check them. Once the skin comes off easily, peel each chile.
- Cut a slit almost the full length of each chile. Make a small "t" across the top, by the stem. Pull out fibers and seeds (this is where the heat is) and replace with a slice of cheese. You can set these aside, for a few minutes or a few hours if you put them in the refrigerator.
- Whip the egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer, until stiff peaks have formed.
- Heat the oil in a skillet until a drop of water sizzles when dropped into the pan.
- Beat the egg yolks with one-tablespoon flour and salt. Fold the yolks into egg whites until well incorporated.
- Roll the chilies in 1/4 cup flour and dip each one in the egg batter. Coat evenly. Fry, seam side down on both sides until golden brown. Place on paper towels to drain.
- These don't last long, they are so good, I usually have to make more than one batch for everyone. Enjoy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Family and Friends Starter CookBookSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More