- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- one giant pot
- 1 red onion
- butter/margarine or olive oil, to cook onion in
- 1 pound or so lean ground beef (chicken/turkey also low-fat choices)
- 1 can corn, no salt added
- 1 can non-fat refried beans (this is the secret--gives it a great consistency)
- can or two crushed tomato
- half jar of your favorite tomato-based sauce
- 1 can kidney beans
- chili powder
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- grated cheese (optional)
- Put the stove in medium to medium-low heat. Cut up the onion and let it cook down in the butter/olive oil. When translucent, stir in the ground meat. Cook until it turns brown, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the canned goods to the meat/onion mixture(no particular order). Be sure to drain the kidney beans before you stir them in.
- Let the chili cook for about 15-20 minutes, stirring to keep it from sticking to the bottom. Add in the spices at the end (generous palmfuls of each, depending on your taste) and stir them around.
- Serve with cheese and homemade pita chips
NotesBefore I graduated from college, I made myself try to make one dish--just to make cooking seem less scary before I headed out into the "real" world. This was the result--I actually liked it!
I try to make it as healthy as possible, but I'm sure it'd taste better if you used higher fat meat/beans etc. It's easy to keep the ingredients on hand as they do not go bad (freeze the meat).
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Cordelia's Pound CakeSee More