- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- one giant pot
- 1 red onion
- butter/margarine or olive oil, to cook onion in
- 1 pound or so lean ground beef (chicken/turkey also low-fat choices)
- 1 can corn, no salt added
- 1 can non-fat refried beans (this is the secret--gives it a great consistency)
- can or two crushed tomato
- half jar of your favorite tomato-based sauce
- 1 can kidney beans
- chili powder
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- grated cheese (optional)
- Put the stove in medium to medium-low heat. Cut up the onion and let it cook down in the butter/olive oil. When translucent, stir in the ground meat. Cook until it turns brown, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the canned goods to the meat/onion mixture(no particular order). Be sure to drain the kidney beans before you stir them in.
- Let the chili cook for about 15-20 minutes, stirring to keep it from sticking to the bottom. Add in the spices at the end (generous palmfuls of each, depending on your taste) and stir them around.
- Serve with cheese and homemade pita chips
NotesBefore I graduated from college, I made myself try to make one dish--just to make cooking seem less scary before I headed out into the "real" world. This was the result--I actually liked it!
I try to make it as healthy as possible, but I'm sure it'd taste better if you used higher fat meat/beans etc. It's easy to keep the ingredients on hand as they do not go bad (freeze the meat).
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Special SmoothiesSee More
Cinnamon-Apple Chex® Mix
Very Berry Crumble Pie
Salmon Hobo PacksSee More