- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMy uncle grew up in Mohave, California.
This recipe was given to my uncle by a long-time friend of the family who lived in Mohave, Mrs. T. Mrs. T kept desert turtles in her front yard the fence was designed so that they couldn't get out.
She had a big yard that they roamed in, and she fed them so they were safe and cared for.
Those turtles were so beautiful!
- 1 large 9x13 casserole dish
- 1 28-ounce can Ortega chilies (whole)
- 1 pound (more or less) cheddar cheese
- ½ pound (more or less) jack cheese
- 4 beaten eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- l large can evaporated milk
- Line casserole with ½ the chilies. Grate cheese and sprinkle ½ of it over top of peppers. Lay remainder of chilies over cheese. Add the rest of the cheese.
- Mix eggs, flour, salt and milk, pour over the top.
- Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until set.