- Cooking Time: 7 hours
- Servings: 20+
- Preparation Time: 2 days
- 4 lbs Pinto beans
- 2 lbs black beans
- 24 cups water
- 4 lbs beef trimmings or stew meat
- 2 lbs country style pork ribs
- 3 large sweet onions
- 5 bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped fennel
- 1 habenero pepper, minced fine (Or 3 jalepeno, if less heat is desired)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tbs smoked paprika
- 2 tbs ground fennel
- 2 tbs Montreal steak seasoning (or dry rub of choice)
- 3 tbs salt
- 1 cup olive oil + ½ cup
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup port
- 16 oz hefeweizen beer
- Day before:
- Begin by mixing the port, vinegar, and oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Slowly add cocoa until dissolved into mix, stirring constantly with wire whisk. DO NOT BOIL. Remove from heat. Cool to room temp. Add beef, and marinate 16+ hours in refrigerator.
- Day of:
- In very large pot, bring to boil water. Add beans, and salt. Reduce to simmer. Cover.
- In large cast iron skillet, saute onions and bell peppers in 5 tbs olive oil over high heat until onions start to caramelize. Toss in garlic, chili powder, paprika, and fennel. Stir for a few seconds, and then add contents to pot of beans.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Rub dry rub on ribs. Let stand 10 minutes. Put ribs in glass baking pan. Add beer. Cover, and place in oven for 35 minutes. Remove, let cool, and cut into bite size pieces. Add to chili in pot.
- Remove beef from marinade and chop into bite size pieces. Brown in olive oil in same cast iron pan. Add to chili in pot. Mix in minced habenero, cover, and let simmer for at least 6 hours.
NotesI have been making this Molé-style chili for years now whenever we have a chili feed. It has been a hit every time!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for BreakfastSee More
Picnic Chicken SaladSee More