CHILI-BEAN AND CHEESE CASSEROLE
- 2 tbsp canola oil (I suggest doing a margarine or clarified butter instead in the end the sauce was too oily)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup skim milk or rice milk
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- dash of Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 7 oz. diced mild green chilies, drained
- 16 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I used black beans instead)
- 1.5 cups shredded red-fat Mont. Jack cheese with chilies or Mexican blend cheese
- Salsa, sour cream or guacamole for garnish
- Taco chips if desired
Preheat oven to 375. Oil an 8â€ baking dish.
In saucepan, heat oil over med-low heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly until smooth and bubbly, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk.
Add onion powder, salt and pepper. Return to heat and bring to boil over med heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in Tabasco sauce.
Arrange half of the chilies in the baking dish. Top with half of the beans, followed by half of the cheese.
Layer the remaining chilies, then beans.
Pour the sauce over the beans, then sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake, uncovered, about 20 minutes, or until puffed and brown.
Let cook slightly before serving warm, with the optional toppings passed separately.