- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, not drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomatoes with green chiles, not drained
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded low-fat Cheddar
- 1 pint light cream cheese
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to coat the bottom of the pot.
- Add the ground turkey to the hot oil and brown, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Drain meat into a colander and reserve.
- To the same skillet which has a little residual fat from cooking the turkey, add the onions and cook over medium heat until soft; then add the garlic and cook until soft.
- Stir in the chili powder and cumin.
- Add the chiles and their juices and the tomatoes and their juices.
- Add the meat back to the pan and stir until combined.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until thick.
- Season with salt, to taste, and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine Cheddar and cream cheese; set aside.
- Line a casserole dish with half the tortillas and ladle half of the meat mixture over. Cover with half of the cheese mixture.
- Top with half of the green onions.
- Repeat layers 1 more time.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until bubbling.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
NotesThis is Mexican comfort food to the max. I usually top with some sour cream and cilantro.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
WorkingBug's Open House Cookbook
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Super-Simple Snickers Pies
Cilantro Pork Tamales
PUmpkin Carrot Swirl BarsSee More