- Cooking Time: 160
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup freshly sliced ginger
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound peeled and sliced carrots
- 1 cup creme fraiche, for garnish
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- In an 8-quart saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the coriander and cumin seeds and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the ginger, onion, and jalapeno and sweat for 4 minutes. Add all liquid ingredients and bring to simmer. Add the carrots and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove from heat and puree using an immersion blender or regular blender. Strain twice through a fine-mesh sieve, pushing through all the solids with a rubber spatula. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Garnish with creme fraiche and cilantro and serve.
NotesAfter straining, save the solids for use in flavoring mashed potatoes, rice, etc.
As it cooks, the orange flavor will reduce and other flavors become more pronounced. I used a food processor to shred the carrots which gives a bit more texture...and is easier.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Jean’s Recipe File
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern CreationsSee More
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More