- Cooking Time: 160
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 30
BackstoryAfter straining, save the solids for use in flavoring mashed potatoes, rice, etc.
As it cooks, the orange flavor will reduce and other flavors become more pronounced. I used a food processor to shred the carrots which gives a bit more texture...and is easier.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup freshly sliced ginger
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound peeled and sliced carrots
- 1 cup creme fraiche, for garnish
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- In an 8-quart saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the coriander and cumin seeds and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the ginger, onion, and jalapeno and sweat for 4 minutes. Add all liquid ingredients and bring to simmer. Add the carrots and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove from heat and puree using an immersion blender or regular blender. Strain twice through a fine-mesh sieve, pushing through all the solids with a rubber spatula. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Garnish with creme fraiche and cilantro and serve.