- Cooking Time: 35
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 pound ground lean turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano, crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium canned vegetable juice
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 cup reduced-sodium canned chicken broth
- 1/2 cup quick pearled barley
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over a medium-high heat. Add the onions and green pepper, and cook and stir until soft. Add the turkey, chili powder, garlic, cumin and oregano, and cook, stirring to break up the meat for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Add the vegetable juice, tomatoes and chiles, chicken broth and barley, and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes until the barley is almost tender. Add the beans, cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 320; total fat 12g (saturated fat 2.5g); cholesterol 60mg; sodium 700mg; carbohydrate 36g (fiber 9g); protein 21g
NotesChili made with lean turkey is perfect for chilly, winter days.