- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 40
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 bunch scallions
- 2 carrots
- 2/3 cup bamboo shoots, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms
- 3-4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 20 egg roll wraps (approximate)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch paste
- flour (for dusting)
- oil (for deep frying)
- soy sauce (for dipping, or other dipping sauces, as desired)
- Shred vegetables to the same size and shape as bean sprouts.
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in wok and stir-fry vegetables for 1 minute. Add salt, sugar, light soy sauce, and rice wine. Stir-fry 2 minutes more; drain and cool.
- To make a spring roll, cut the wrapper in half diagonally. Place 1 tbsp of veggie mixture one-third of the way down the wrapper, then turn the wrapper so the small tip of the diagonal is pointing away from you. Fold the wide edge of the wrapper over the filling and roll over one time. Fold in the sides, and roll the wrapper away from you one time more.
- Brush the upper edge of the wrapper with cornstarch paste (to make cornstarch paste, simply mix 4 parts cornstarch to 5 parts cold water, and stir till dissolved). Finish rolling the springroll, keeping it a bit tight.
- Sprinkle some flour on a baking sheet (to keep spring rolls from sticking), and rest the spring rolls there, flap side down, while you finish making the other rolls.
- To cook, heat the oil in a wok or fryer until hot, then reduce the heat to low. Fry the spring rolls in batches, making sure not to crowd, cooking until they are golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove rolls from oil and drain on paper toweling. Serve hot with soy sauce, or sweet and sour and hot mustard, if desired.
NotesThis is a vegetarian version of spring rolls. You can replace the mushrooms with minced meat if you like a regular version. If you like shrimp, just add them in place of the carrots..
40 spring rolls
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community CookbookSee More
Broiled Salmon with Olive-Tomato Vinaigrette
Peanut and pretzel truffles
Veggie KebabsSee More