Chinese Fried Rice
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup pine nuts
1 cup uncooked brown rice
½ pound boned pork steak cut into small pieces
1 cup ham, chicken, or shrimp if desired (I usually add a little ham and cooked chicken diced fine)
1 teaspoon grated ginger
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoon rice wine
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic
2 stalks celery
1 medium onion
1½ cups bok choy
8 green onions
12 canned water chestnuts, slivered
1 cup thawed frozen peas
2 cups fresh bean sprouts
1 small can mushroom pieces
1 tablespoon soy sauce
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sauce (in Asian aisle)
Pinch of sugar
Do following steps in order given:
1. In a skillet, add olive oil, pine nuts, and uncooked brown rice; lightly toast, stirring constantly.
2. Put pine nuts and brown rice in a saucepan and cook per rice package instructions; chill well.
3. Cut pork and other meats (if desired) and marinate in grated ginger, soy sauce, rice wine, and vegetable oil.
4. Chop garlic, celery, onion, bok choy, and scallions fairly small, putting each in small separate containers.
5. Sliver chestnuts, thaw peas, wash sprouts, drain can of mushrooms, and beat eggs.
6. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, salt, brown sauce, and sugar; set aside for later.
Follow steps shown when cooking:
1. Heat wok on medium-high and add 1 tablespoon oil; fry pork first then add other meats. Remove and put in a large bowl.
2. Reheat wok with ½ tablespoon oil and add beaten eggs, swirling up sides; cut egg into slivers and add to bowl.
3. Add 1 tablespoon oil to hot wok and add rice, stirring constantly for several minutes. Add to bowl.
4. Add ½ tablespoon oil to hot wok, add celery and cook for 2 minutes then onions and cook for 2 minutes then garlic; stirring often. Add bok choy and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add water chestnuts, peas, and mushrooms; cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the pre-made sauce (step 6 above); stir well then return all ingredients to wok.
6. Add cut-up green onions and bean sprouts at end; heat thoroughly, stirring constantly, but do NOT cover or ingredients will become soggy.
7. Serve immediately.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Side Dish