CHINESE PEPPER STEAK
- Cooking Time: 8 to 10 minutes
- Servings: 4 to 6
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1 flank steak (about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs.)
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sherry or white wine. Never use cooking sherry
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 4 Tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 medium size green pepper cut into about 1/2 in dice
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- fresh ginger, peeled and sliced (or gr. ginger) 1/4 tsp.
- cooked rice
I cut the flank steak into thin slices with the grain. Pieces should be about 3 inches long.
Combine soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch, and sugar in a ziplock baggie.
Add meat turning to coat.
Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or longer.
Use about 1 T of the oil and swirl around bottom to coat.
Add peppers and onion, stir for about 3 minutes. Do not over coak.
Transfer to a plate or dish, set aside.
Pour remaing oil into wok and heat.
Add ginger and stir fry briefly.
Discard the ginger.
Add steak and marinade and stir fry till meat is browned and marinade is slightly reduced.
Return the peppers and onions to wok and stir fry till reheated.
Serve over cooked white rice.
If you would like more sauce add about 1/2 cup of water or wine.