- Cooking Time: 10 min.
- Servings: 24 steamed buns
- Preparation Time: 4 hrs.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 scallion, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 1/2 pound barbecued pork cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water or chicken stock
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Add 1 cup of flour. Mix thoroughly. Cover with cloth. Let rise 1 hour, until bubbles appear.
- Dissolve sugar and vegetable oil in 1/2 cup boiling water. Stir well. Cool until lukewarm. Pour into yeast mixture. Add 3 1/2 cups flour.
- Knead dough on lightly floured board until smooth. Put into extra large, greased bowl in a warm place. Cover with damp cloth. Let rise until double in bulk, about 2 hours.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in wok. Stir fry scallion and garlic 30 seconds. Add pork. Stir fry 1 minute. Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar.
- Pour in dissolved cornstarch. Stir fry quickly until pork is glazed. Remove to bowl and allow to cool.
- On a floured board, knead dough 1 minute and roll into one long, sausage-like roll 2 inches in diameter.
- Slice the roll crosswise into 1 inch pieces.
- Flatten each piece with the palm of your hand and roll with rolling pin into 3 inch rounds.
- Place 2 tablespoons of filling in center of each round.
- Gather dough up around the filling by pleating along the edges.
- Bring the pleats up and twist securely and firmly.
- Place each bun on 2 inch square of aluminum foil on steamer tray. Cover with a towel. Let rise 1 hour, until dough springs back when touched with finger. Remove towel.
- Steam over briskly boiling water 10 minutes.
- May be prepared in advance. May be frozen. Thaw out in plastic bag and resteam 10 minutes.
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory LifeSee More
My Mom's Stuffing (My preacher recipe)
Hot Italian 'Krash' StackSee More