- Cooking Time: 10 min.
- Servings: 24 steamed buns
- Preparation Time: 4 hrs.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 scallion, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 1/2 pound barbecued pork cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water or chicken stock
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Add 1 cup of flour. Mix thoroughly. Cover with cloth. Let rise 1 hour, until bubbles appear.
- Dissolve sugar and vegetable oil in 1/2 cup boiling water. Stir well. Cool until lukewarm. Pour into yeast mixture. Add 3 1/2 cups flour.
- Knead dough on lightly floured board until smooth. Put into extra large, greased bowl in a warm place. Cover with damp cloth. Let rise until double in bulk, about 2 hours.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in wok. Stir fry scallion and garlic 30 seconds. Add pork. Stir fry 1 minute. Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar.
- Pour in dissolved cornstarch. Stir fry quickly until pork is glazed. Remove to bowl and allow to cool.
- On a floured board, knead dough 1 minute and roll into one long, sausage-like roll 2 inches in diameter.
- Slice the roll crosswise into 1 inch pieces.
- Flatten each piece with the palm of your hand and roll with rolling pin into 3 inch rounds.
- Place 2 tablespoons of filling in center of each round.
- Gather dough up around the filling by pleating along the edges.
- Bring the pleats up and twist securely and firmly.
- Place each bun on 2 inch square of aluminum foil on steamer tray. Cover with a towel. Let rise 1 hour, until dough springs back when touched with finger. Remove towel.
- Steam over briskly boiling water 10 minutes.
- May be prepared in advance. May be frozen. Thaw out in plastic bag and resteam 10 minutes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mom's Cooking Secrets
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!See More
Old Fashioned Railroad Navy Bean Soup
Rice A Roni Meatballs
Homemade Vanilla ExtractSee More