- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 3 lbs. ground beef
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 2 14 1/2 oz cans of beef broth
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes w/ added puree
- 1/2 cup stout beer or dark beer
- 2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chilies
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 15 1/2 oz cans black beans, drained, rinsed
- for lime crema:
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
- tortilla chips
- Heat heavy large pot over high heat. Add beef, saute until cooked through, breaking up meat with spoon, about 8 minutes. Transfer meat to a large bowl. Add onions and garlic to same pot. Saute until onions are tender, about 8 minutes. Add chili powder. Saute until fragrant, 3 minutes. Add beef, broth, tomatoes, stout and chilies. Cover partially; simmer until chili is thick, stirring often, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Gradually stir cornmeal into chili. Stir in beans. Simmer until heated through. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Whisk sour cream, lime juice and lime peel in small bowl. Season with salt.
- Spoon chili into bowls. Spoon lime crema atop chili. Serve with chips.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.
NotesI was lucky enough to win second place in a friendly chili cook-off with this recipe.
Great with russet potato chips as a scoop.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013See More
Easy Chocolate Tart
Black Bean And Corn QuesadillasSee More