CHIPOTLE BEEF CHILI WITH LIME CREMA
- Servings: 8
- 3 lbs. ground beef
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 2 14 1/2 oz cans of beef broth
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes w/ added puree
- 1/2 cup stout beer or dark beer
- 2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chilies
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 15 1/2 oz cans black beans, drained, rinsed
- for lime crema:
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
- tortilla chips
Heat heavy large pot over high heat. Add beef, saute until cooked through, breaking up meat with spoon, about 8 minutes. Transfer meat to a large bowl. Add onions and garlic to same pot. Saute until onions are tender, about 8 minutes. Add chili powder. Saute until fragrant, 3 minutes. Add beef, broth, tomatoes, stout and chilies. Cover partially; simmer until chili is thick, stirring often, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
Gradually stir cornmeal into chili. Stir in beans. Simmer until heated through. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Whisk sour cream, lime juice and lime peel in small bowl. Season with salt.
Spoon chili into bowls. Spoon lime crema atop chili. Serve with chips.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Great with russet potato chips as a scoop.