- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThe flavors are not middle eastern, it is more Southwestern and quite spicy... delicious in a small dish eaten with crisp diced cucumber and tomato or to use in a wrap with sauteed vegetables. Broil tomato slices to soften them, add small scoop of this spread, top with jack cheese and broil.
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (1 lime)
- 2 whole canned chipotle peppers, chopped (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion, plus additional for garnish
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Puree chickpeas, with garlic, and lime juice to a finely ground texture. Add half the chipotles, onion, tomato paste, chili powder, and cumin, and blend until smooth. Add olive oil in a thin drizzle while processer is running, blending until mixture is creamy. Season with salt and pepper, add additional chipotle to taste. Transfer to small bowl and garnish with red onion.