CHIPOTLE VEGGIE STEW- VEGAN
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 to 10
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper (any color), slivered
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 zucchini, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1 summer squash, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 cobs fresh corn, sliced into 2-inch-long pieces
- 1 cup fresh green beans, ends snipped
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 3 cups (cooked) garbanzo beans
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, or to taste
- Corn tortilla chips (optional for garnish)
- Lime wedges (optional for garnish)
- In a large pot or soup kettle, heat oil and sauté onion, celery and carrots until onions are translucent. Add garlic, tomatoes, bell pepper and spices. Stir and cook about 5 minutes. Add zucchini, squash, corn and green beans. Stir and cook about 2 minutes. Add chipotle peppers and garbanzo beans. Stir to combine and coat all ingredients with spices and chipotles.
- Add vegetable broth, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Add cilantro and lime juice and serve immediately. Garnish individual servings with tortilla chips and/or lime wedges, if desired.
NotesA medley of organic vegetables gives this wholesome stew loads of nutrients and a hearty broth. Chipotle peppers and flavorful Mexican seasonings add spice, while whole green beans and chunks of corn and squash make for a pleasing, colorful presentation.
Per serving (about 17oz/494g-wt.): 270 calories (70 from fat), 8g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 760mg sodium, 43g total carbohydrate (10g dietary fiber, 12g sugar), 9g protein