- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI love anything that has chipotle in it. These are great and the recipe is easy to double or triple.
The chicken breasts that I get at the store are too large for one serving, so I usually fillet into 2 peices. Instead of creating a pocket to stuff, I pound them out and roll up around the filling jelly roll style, anchored with a toothpick(s). Make sure that you blend the flour and apple juice together before adding it to the pan or you will end up with a lumpy mess.
Nutrition Facts: 1 stuffed chicken breast half with 3 tablespoons sauce equals 335 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 489 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 37 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 very lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 fruit.
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small tart apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings.
- In the drippings, saute apple until tender.
- Add the onion, applesauce, chipotle peppers and bacon; saute 2 minutes longer.
- Cut a pocket in each chicken breast half; stuff with apple mixture.
- In a small skillet, brown chicken in oil on both sides.
- Transfer to an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, add the flour, apple juice, salt and pepper to the skillet; stir to loosen browned bits.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with chicken.