- Cooking Time: 50
- Preparation Time:
- Chocoholic Cake
- 8 oz dark semisweet chocolate (40-50% cocoa)
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 heaped teaspoons AP flour
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 2/3 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 9 oz semisweet chocolate (40-50% cocoa)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line circular 10 in cake pan with parchment paper and grease pan with non stick cooking spray. Note the cake will rise to 3 inches and collapse a little when it cools. If your pan is less than 10 in wide and 3 inches tall, you're better off using 2 cake pans.
- Break chocolate into small pieces and melt it with butter over hot water or double boiler. Take off heat when melted through.
- While the chocolate is melting, beat the eggs with sugar, then combine it with the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and vanilla extract
- Slowly fold in the melted chocolate mixture with the sour cream into the egg/flour/cocoa mixture.
- Pour batter into the greased pan and bake at 350 degrees until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle - roughly 50 minutes.
- Cool the cake and remove the crusted surface on the top of the cake. Cut in half horizontally for frosting.
- Heat the cream in a sauce pan - do not boil.
- Remove from heat and add the 9oz of finely chopped dark semisweet chocolate - stir until smooth and let it cool until it thickens.
- Use 1/3 of the frosting between the 2 cake layers, 1/3 for the top of the cake and the remaining frosting for the sides.
- Place the cake in the fridge for one hour or more to harden the frosting.
- Cake should be served at room temp.
- *** you can add rum, Kahlua, or Irish Cream to the chocolate and butter mixture
NotesHere's one my chocoholic friends fight over!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
The Social CookbookSee More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More