- Cooking Time: 50
- Preparation Time:
- Chocoholic Cake
- 8 oz dark semisweet chocolate (40-50% cocoa)
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 heaped teaspoons AP flour
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 2/3 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 9 oz semisweet chocolate (40-50% cocoa)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line circular 10 in cake pan with parchment paper and grease pan with non stick cooking spray. Note the cake will rise to 3 inches and collapse a little when it cools. If your pan is less than 10 in wide and 3 inches tall, you're better off using 2 cake pans.
- Break chocolate into small pieces and melt it with butter over hot water or double boiler. Take off heat when melted through.
- While the chocolate is melting, beat the eggs with sugar, then combine it with the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and vanilla extract
- Slowly fold in the melted chocolate mixture with the sour cream into the egg/flour/cocoa mixture.
- Pour batter into the greased pan and bake at 350 degrees until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle - roughly 50 minutes.
- Cool the cake and remove the crusted surface on the top of the cake. Cut in half horizontally for frosting.
- Heat the cream in a sauce pan - do not boil.
- Remove from heat and add the 9oz of finely chopped dark semisweet chocolate - stir until smooth and let it cool until it thickens.
- Use 1/3 of the frosting between the 2 cake layers, 1/3 for the top of the cake and the remaining frosting for the sides.
- Place the cake in the fridge for one hour or more to harden the frosting.
- Cake should be served at room temp.
- *** you can add rum, Kahlua, or Irish Cream to the chocolate and butter mixture
NotesHere's one my chocoholic friends fight over!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Steak with red onion relish
Merry Christmas CookiesSee More