- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 5 dozen
- Preparation Time:
- 2 C Rolled Oats
- 2 C (1 12 oz package) semisweet choc chips
- 1 C unsalted butter softened to room temp
- 1 C firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 C unsweetened cocoa, preferably Hershey's Premium European-Style
- 2 Large Eggs slightly beaten
- 1 T milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 9 oz (3 3 oz bars) white chocolate like Lindt Swiss White Confectionery Bar
- 1 1/2 T solid vegetable shortening like Crisco
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter 2 cookie sheets.
- Do not alter the order in shich the ingredients are combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats and chocolate chips (I didn't do this as I don't know why I'd dirty an extra bowl for no reason).
- In another large bowl, beat together the butter and sugars until creamy.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa, then add to the butter mixture, stirring until thoroughly combined. The batter will be very stiff.
- Stir the milk and vanilla into the eggs, then stir this mixture into the butter mixture until thoroughly combined. Add the chips and oats; stir until well mixed.
- Using a two-tablespoon scoop, drop batter 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake 9 to 12 minutes, until cooked through.
- Cool on pan 1 minute; transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Optional (they're good like already):
- Melt the white chocolate with the solid vegetable shortening in the top of a double boiler over simmering water.
- Holding a cooled cookie between your thumb and forefinger dip the edge into the warm white chocolate to cover the top third of the cookie. Place on a rack over wax paper to dry completely.
- Store between layers of wax paper in an air-tight container in a cool place.
- Makes 5 dozen (I only made 4! Maybe my 2 TB estimate was a bit big!)
NotesThis recipe is from a Diane Mott Davidson murder mystery!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Thanksgiving With The Singing Vegan
Italy or Bust
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!See More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More