- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pkg Betty Crocker SuperMoist devil's food cake mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup (8 oz container) dairy sour cream
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy chocolate ready-to-spread frosting
- Heat oven to 350ºF (325ºF for dark or nonstick pans).
- Grease bottom only of 13" X 9" X 2" rectangular baking pan with shortening or spray bottom with cooking spray.
- In large bowl with elec mixer on low speed, beat cake mix, water, oil, eggs & sour cream 30 seconds.
- On med speed, beat 1 min (batter will be thick). Spread 1/2 the batter in pan.
- Mix brown sugar, pecans, chocolate chips & cinnamnon; sprinkle over batter in pan.
- Drop remaining batter by spoonfuls evenly over pecan mixture; carefully spread to cover.
- Bake 50-60 mins until top quickly springs back when touched lightly in center.
- With fork, prick surface or warm cake several times.
- Spread frosting evenly over warm cake (frosting will be very thin).
- Run knife around side of pan to loosen cake. Cool completely, about 2 hrs.
- Store loosely covered at room temp.
- SUBSTITUTION: In pinch, chopped walnuts or slivered almonds can be substituted for pecans.
- SUCCESS HINT: When frosting a warm cake, spread in just 1 direction, using long strokes.
- Using a back-&-forth motion often causes top layer of cake to come off, leaving crumbs in frosting.
NotesDID YOU KNOW? The original version of Honey Bun Cake uses a yellow cake mix; the flavor is reminiscent of a sweet roll, or "honey bun", so the name stuck. Our chocolate version keeps the ever-popular name.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Food Travels Through Italy
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert CookbookSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More