- Cooking Time: 35 to 45 minutes
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup short or medium grain brown rice
- pinch of salt
- 1 2/3 cup water
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pkg. ( 946 ml) almond milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate (85% cocoa solids) chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced or slivered almonds
- In saucepan, combine rice, salt and 1 2/3 cups water to a boil; immediately reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes.
- While the rice is simmering whisk together cocoa, cinnamon and some of the almond milk until smooth; whisk in remaining almond milk.
- Stir this into the rice; increase heat and bring to simmer. Stir in sugar; simmer, stirring often, until rice is completely soft and pudding is thick and creamy, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until melted and well mixed.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Makes 8 servings
NotesWhile at the library I went through the homemakers magazines and in February/March 2008 this rice pudding caught my eye. It explains in the description that research has shown that chocolate with a high cocoa content contains a substance known as flavonoids, which appear to have antioxident and anti-inflammatory effects, reduce blood pressure, improve blood flow through the arteries and decrease the risk of blood clots that lead to heart attacks or stroke. Add the healthy effects of almonds and th whole grain rice your heart and taste buds will both be happy.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Simple Homemade Favorites
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie TreatsSee More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More