- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 1/2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (use the best chocolate you can find)
- 5 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted to butter pan
- 2 tbsp. ground almonds, (sliced almonds can be ground in a blender)
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
- Sliced almonds for top of the cake
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F ( Note: You will lower the temperature after 2 minutes of baking to 350 degrees F). Butter a 10-inch pan, and flour the sides, place a wax paper disc to cover the bottom.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler.
- Combine egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar and beat till the mixture forms a pale yellow ribbon. In a separate bowl whip the egg whites till stiff, adding 1 1/2 tbsp sugar halfway through, set aside.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the warm, not hot melted chocolate and mix well, gently fold in cornstarch, ground almonds and cocoa powder. Using a spatula fold the chocolate mixture into the egg whites, blending well. Pour into the buttered cake pan. Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake at 400 degrees for two minutes, then lower heat to 350 degrees and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Remove from cake pan and serve at room temperature.
- Can be stored, wrapped well for two to three days in the refrigerator.
NotesThis is a very dense and rich cake, serve it in small slices