- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time:
- 4 egg whites, room temp.
- 1/4 t. cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 4 egg yolks*
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 (8 oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Grease 10" glass pie plate.
- Beat 4 egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. Add sugar gradually, beating until stiff and glossy.
- Spread meringue in pie plate, making a "well" in the middle for filling.
- Bake in 300 degree oven for 1 hour. Turn off heat and keep meringue in oven for at least one hour, preferably overnight.
- Put chocolate chips in medium sized microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 45 seconds to 1 minute or until chocolate is melted.
- Add egg yolks and beat with electric mixer until smooth.
- Let chocolate mixture cool, then add vanilla. Fold in beaten egg whites, and then thawed whipped topping, mixing well.
- Pour filling into pie shell, cover with plastic wrap and chill for several hours.
- Just before serving, whip whipping cream with 1 T. powdered sugar, and top pie. Garnish with chocolate curls, if desired.
NotesThis is an adapted recipe that originally came from a now out of print cookbook called "Thoughts for Buffets". It has been a family favorite for years. We serve it at all of our holiday meals.
If uncooked eggs are a concern, substitute pasturized eggs. Use regular egg whites for meringue, however. I have found that pasturized egg whites will not whip up.
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
A Happy Life Cookbook : Recipes for a Healthy Life
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
Broccoli/Bacon/Onion Salad LOW CARB
High-Protein Honey Wheat Bread
Sticky Pecan & Prune Pre-Workout BarsSee More