- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 280 g flour
- 25 g bitter cocoa
- 130 g powdered sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 egg white
- 180 g butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 TBspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 500 g mascarpone cheese
- 40 g flour
- 3 TBspoons Calvados or rum
- 2 apples (Golden)
- 40 g melted butter
- 1-2 TBspoons powdered sugar
- Sift together the flour, the cocoa powder and the powdered sugar adding a pinch of salt as well.
- Rub in the chopped cold butter to form coarse crumbs. Add the yolks and half an egg white and bring everything together kneading quickly and shortly- to form smooth dough. Wrap and let cool in the fridge for ½ an hour.
- For the filling, mix the egg yolks with the sugar using an electric mixer. Add the vanilla extract and the mascarpone cheese (add a spoonful at a time). In the end, mix in the finely grated lemon zest, the flour and the Calvados or Rum.
- Peel, core and slice the apples. Mix the sliced apples with the lemon juice and set aside.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out between 2 sheets of baking paper to ½ cm thick.
- Cover the bottom and the sides of a 30 cm crostata (pie) dish with the dough and cut off the excess dough.
- Pour the mascarpone cream into a crostata shell and smooth with a spoon.
- Place the apple slices over it, pushing them just lightly into the cream.
- Brush the surface with the melted butter, sprinkle with a little powdered sugar and bake in an oven preheated to 180°C for 50-55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Fun appetizers and snacksSee More
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers with Zucchini Rice
Endive Rhubarb Salad
COTTAGE CHEESE BRUNCH BLINTZESSee More