- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm milk (105-115 F)
- teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 1/2-5 cups all-purpose flour
- for the filling
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- to garnish
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Whisk together the milk, yeast, and 1 teaspoon sugar in a large glass bowl and let stand ten minutes or until foamy. With a wooden spoon, beat in butter, salt, eggs, sugar, vanilla and 2 cups flour. When the mixture is smooth add as much of the remaining flour as is needed to make a soft dough.
Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let stand 90 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
Mix the filling ingredients together until smooth.
Turn out half the dough onto a lightly floured board and roll out to a rectangle 8 x 12 inches. Smear half of the filling across the dough and roll up tightly, pinching the seam to seal.
Place onto a nonstick jelly roll pan and repeat with remaining dough and filling.
Twist the two dough strands around one another and tuck the ends under.
Brush with beaten egg, sprinkle with sliced almonds and bake 40 minutes or until well browned.