- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 slices fresh firm-textured white bread, such as Pepperidge Farm cut into 1/2-inch cubes, to yield approximately 3 1/2 cups
- Chocolate sorbet for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly butter bottoms and sides of eight ceramic ramekins or custard cups. Coat with granulated sugar.
- Combine chopped chocolate, half of the sugar, heavy cream and butter in small heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Transfer to large bowl and let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in egg yolks and vanilla.
- Beat egg whites in medium bowl until soft peaks form, using electric mixer at medium speed. Slowly add remaining sugar, beating at high speed. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture.
- Gently fold in bread cubes.
- Divide mixture evenly among the prepared ramekins. Place in large baking pan. Add enough hot water to fill halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into center of a pudding comes out clean.
- Place ramekins on wire rack to cool slightly.
- Unmold pudding on dessert plate and surround with cappuccino sauce. Top with a scoop of chocolate sorbet, if desired.