- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 3 cups
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound sifted confectioners’ (powdered) sugar (approx. 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 3 - 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cocoa or three 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
- In a bowl, cream shortening, butter, vanilla. Add cocoa and mix until blended. Alternately add confectioners’ sugar(about a cup at a time) and milk to creamed mixture. Mixing on medium speed (hand mixer), or low speed (stand mixer) until smooth and creamy. Do not over mix or mix on high speed. You may not need all the milk to reach your desired consistency.
- Storage - Icing can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 2 weeks. Beat icing before using.
NotesIf you're looking for a chocolate buttercream icing that remains soft, creamy, and doesn't crust, this is it. I have used it numerous times for decorating all kinds of cakes, a lot of birthday cakes for the kids! One variance is regular cocoa powder vs. dutch process. It will work either way, just depends on your preference.
This icing is great for making borders and flowers like roses, sweet peas, and drop flowers.
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
50 Shades of TasteSee More
Fojos (Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Ancho Chili and Whipped Cream)
Crab And Shrimp Pasta
Graham Cracker Peanut Butter Balls (Truffles)See More