- Cooking Time: 24- 31 minutes
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 20
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/3 cups boiling water
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, softened
- 2 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz white chocolate, melted as pkg directs, cooled to room temperature
- 3 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened 5 Tbsp stick butter, softened
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1. Position racks to divide oven in thirds. Heat to 350°F. Coat three 9-in. or 8 x 2-in. round cake pans with nonstick spray. Line bottoms with wax paper.
- 2. Stir cocoa and boiling water in a medium bowl until smooth; let cool.
- 3. Meanwhile mix next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, beat next 4 ingredients with mixer on high speed 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add cool cocoa; beat until blended. Scrape bowl. On low speed, beat in flour mixture just to blend, scraping bowl once. Spoon into prepared pans; smooth surfaces. Stagger pans on oven racks.
- 4. Bake 24 to 31 minutes (depending on pan size) until a wooden pick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Run knife around edges; invert on rack, remove paper and cool completely.
- 5. Frosting: Beat ingredients on low speed to blend. Increase speed to high; beat 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- 6. To assemble: Place 1 cake layer on serving plate, bottom side up. Spread with 1/3 the Frosting. Repeat with remaining layers, swirling frosting on top. Garnish with Chocolate Curls.
NotesI've made this as a full cake and as cupcakes and both are wonderful. It also freezes well. I made and frosted the cupcakes and froze them for a week and they tasted great.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking for a Cure
The Italian Exchange
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative CreationsSee More
GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR BLEND
Peanut Butter Cups
White Chocolate and Cranberry CookiesSee More