- Cooking Time: 7-10
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 c. butter (no substitute), softened
- 1 c. plus 1 tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 ½ c. all-purpose flour
- ¾ c. baking cocoa
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 c. chopped pecans, divided
- 1 package (13 oz.) Rolo candies (chocolate covered carmels)
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, 1 c. sugar and brown sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, cocoa and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture and beat just until combined. Stir in ½ cup pecans. Shape dough by tablespoonfuls around each candy (the dough is sticky, so I refrigerated it for about 30 minutes to make it a bit more solid). It gets really messy! In a small bowl, combine remaining pecans and sugar; dip the top of each cookie. Place the dough with nut side up on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 7 – 10 minutes or until top is slightly cracked. Be careful not to overbake. Cool for 3 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. ENJOY!!!
NotesMy mom and I started baking these back when my oldest brother was a student at Purdue. We'd bake a big batch and ship them to him at school, where they gained quite a reputation. Since then, they have been lovingly referred to as "Purdue cookies."
These aren't just any cookie - when you bite into them, there's a delicious surprise!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Halloween Easy Eerie Edibles
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal HelpingsSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More