- Cooking Time: 7-10
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 c. butter (no substitute), softened
- 1 c. plus 1 tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 ½ c. all-purpose flour
- ¾ c. baking cocoa
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 c. chopped pecans, divided
- 1 package (13 oz.) Rolo candies (chocolate covered carmels)
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, 1 c. sugar and brown sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, cocoa and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture and beat just until combined. Stir in ½ cup pecans. Shape dough by tablespoonfuls around each candy (the dough is sticky, so I refrigerated it for about 30 minutes to make it a bit more solid). It gets really messy! In a small bowl, combine remaining pecans and sugar; dip the top of each cookie. Place the dough with nut side up on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 7 – 10 minutes or until top is slightly cracked. Be careful not to overbake. Cool for 3 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. ENJOY!!!
NotesMy mom and I started baking these back when my oldest brother was a student at Purdue. We'd bake a big batch and ship them to him at school, where they gained quite a reputation. Since then, they have been lovingly referred to as "Purdue cookies."
These aren't just any cookie - when you bite into them, there's a delicious surprise!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More