CHOCOLATE CARROT CUPCAKES
Chocolate Carrot Cupcakes
- Cooking Time: 20-22
- Servings: 24-30 cupcakes
- Preparation Time: 10-15
- * 1.5 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- * 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder [I used Ghirardelli, and I loved it. But chocolate's kind of forgiving, so you can splurge or scrimp on Baker's, Askinosie, etc.]
- * 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- * 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- * 1.5 teaspoon baking soda
- * 1 teaspoon nutmeg [Completely optional, but it's better if you do.]
- * 3 room temperature eggs
- * 3/4 cup packed brown sugar*
- * 3/4 cup granulated sugar*
- [See the asterisks? They mean: I used 1.25 cups of honey, but you can use sugar. Honey's better. And I ran out of honey halfway through and used syrup...but it still tasted lovely]
- *2/3 cup unsalted butter
- * 2 teaspoons vanilla. [Use whatever you have: imitation, extract pure...I'm thoroughly sick of people preaching about the evils of "fake" vanilla.]
- * Finely grated zest of 1 lemon. [That's the yellow peel. DO NOT get the white pith, 'cause it's grossly bitter]
- * 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- * 1.5 cups grated carrots. [I finely grated them so I wouldn't see big old strips of orange in my cupcakes.]
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Put on "Shake It" by Metro Station [I dislike their other songs with a passion] and "AntiqueHighHeelRedDollShoes" by Rasputina. Not at the same time. :)
Melt chocolate in a double boiler then set aside to cool. In bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
In a separate bowl beat eggs then add honey and beat until fluffeh.
Add butter to eggs and beat well then stir in vanilla and lemon zest.
Add your chocolate and mix it up.
Stir in buttermilk, then dry ingredients just until combined; then stir in grated carrots.
Pour batter into cupcake liners.
Bake for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool before taking out of pans then cool completely and frost. Inhale the spicysweet air.
Someone gave us a big bag of those creeps [???], and I realized that I had to destroy them. The decision: bake them.
[Okay, but carrots go in carrot cake, and I haven't any crème cheese or nuts.
And muv's allergic to pineapple juice.]
I discovered a recipe on Recipezaar for a chocolate carrot cake.
So I now have a [modified] recipe for an amazing carrot-killing cake.
And trust me, it's good. =^.~=