- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Chocolate Crust:
- 1 1/2C chocolate wafer crumbs
- 3T unsalted butter, melted
- Chocolate Cheesecake filling:
- 9oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1C heavy cream
- 1lb, 6oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2/3C granulated sugar
- 1t vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- Crust: position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350. Spray bottom and sides of 9" springform pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, toss together crumbs and butter until crumbs are evenly coated. Pat mixture into bottom of springform pan and set aside.
- Filling: put chocolate and cream in medium bowl and place bowl over saucepan (double boiler) filled 1/3 of way with simmering water. Heat, stirring frequently, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove bowl from over pan and set aside to cool.
- In bowl of electric mixer with paddle attachment, beat cream cheese at low speed until very smooth and creamy, occasionally scraping bottom and sides of bowl. Add sugar and mix well. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add chocolate mixture and mix to combine.
- Pour into prepared pan and tap lightly on counter to knock out some air. Place in a large roasting pan and fill 1 1/2" to 2" with very hot water. Cover pan with foil and bake for 55 - 60 minutes or until set on the sides but slightly jiggly in center. When done, remove from water bath and allow to cool. Remove sides of pan and chill cake for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Top with whipped cream and favorite chocolate decoration.
NotesI got this from my Chocolatier magazine - Lever House Restaurant in New York. I made this with my pastry chef at the beginning of the year - it is wonderful.
TIP (for any cheesecake): Wrap foil around the bottom of the springform pan up and up 2 inches or more to prevent water leaking into the pan before placing into the water bath.