CHOCOLATE CHERRY CUPCAKES
- For the cupcakes
- (Makes 20-24)
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 4 tbsp. Dutch-process cocoa powder (I used 2 tbsp. Hershey's Special Dark and 2 tbsp. regular Hershey's cocoa)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped marascino cherries (I used a food processor to chop them finely)
- For the topping
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream + 1/4 cup (for chocolate drizzle)
- 3 tbsp. confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 20-24 maraschino cherries + 2 tbsp maraschino juice (or you could use cherry flavored liqueur for a stronger cherry taste)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 325F (160C). Place 20-24 paper baking cups in muffin pans.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, and baking powder.
Cream the sugar and butter in a large bowl until smooth.
Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition.
Add the flour mixture and the cherries, and stir until well combined.
Spoon the batter into the cups filling them 2/3 to 3/4 full (I got 20 big cupcakes using a 1/3 cup scoop, could've gotten 24 if I'd used 1/4 cup batter).
Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove pans from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pans and cool on a rack.
For the topping, bring 1/4 cup heavy cream to a boil using the stove or microwave.
Pour over the chocolate chips and let sit for 5 minuets.
Stir with a rubber spatula until smooth.
In a chilled bowl with chilled beaters, whip the cream and confectioners' sugar together until slightly stiff.
Gently stir in maraschino juice.
Spread whipped cream generously on cupcakes.
Place a cherry in the center and drizzle chocolate on top.