- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryAnother recipe from my Pastry Arts class.
- 2 oz water
- 8 oz eggs
- 8 oz of powdered sugar (sifted)
- 9 oz cake flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup oil
- 10 oz egg whites
- 3 oz sugar
- Whisk together water, yolks and powdered sugar using the whisk attachment of a mixer until light and fluffy and pale in color. This will be at high speed.
- Place wet mixture into a big bowl. Sift together the dry ingredients and fold about 1/2 of the dry into the yolk mixture.
- As the batter begins to stiffen begin adding in oil and alternating with the remainder of the dry ingredients until even.
- Whisk the whites until foamy and then add in the sugar and whip to firm but not stiff peaks.
- Fold in the meringue to the batter and bake immediately. Roughly 40 minutes at 360. Will make one 10" cake, or two 8" cakes.