- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons finely crushed almonds or walnuts, optional
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form, about 6 minutes. Beat in cocoa. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts if desired.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert No. 806 round tip. Spoon meringue into bag. Pipe 1-1/2-in. hearts 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
NotesThese light, crispy treats are a delicious way to show how much you care.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Recipes for Vitality
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More