CHOCOLATE CHIP SHORTBREAD
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: Approximately 40
- Preparation Time: 150 minutes
- 2 sticks of unsalted, room temperature butter
- 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1. Beat butter and confectioners’ sugar together on medium speed for about 3 minutes, until the mixture is very smooth.
2. Beat in vanilla, then reduce mixer speed to low and add flour, mixing only until it disappears into the dough.
3. Fold in the chopped chocolate or chips with a sturdy rubber spatula.
4. Transfer dough to a gallon-size zip-loc bag. Put bag on a flat surface, leaving the top open, and roll the dough into a 9 x 10 1/2 inch rectangle that’s 1/4 inch thick. As you roll, turn the bag occasionally and lift the plastic from the dough so it doesn’t cause creases. When you get the right size and thickness, seal the bag, pressing out as much air as possible, and refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours, or for up to 2 days.
5. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
6. Put the plastic bag on a cutting board and slit it open. Turn the firm dough out onto the board (discard the bag) and, using a ruler as a guide and a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1 1/2-inch squares.
7. Transfer the squares to the baking sheets
8. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, rotating the sheets from top to bottom and front to back at the midway point. The shortbreads will be very pale–they shouldn’t take on much color.
9. Transfer the cookies to a rack.
10. Cool the cookies to room temperature before serving.
Website Credit: Smitten Kitchen (http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/12/espresso-chocolate-shortbread-cookies), Use Real Butter (http://userealbutter.com/2008/09/25/espresso-chocolate-chip-shortbread-cookies-recipe)